Monday, February 15, 2010

First Thing: Become An Early Riser

It bothers me that I go to the gym at lunch. Don't get me wrong, I like that I go the gym. Having that habit has greatly improved my life(thanks Miriam!), but going during my lunch hour causes problems. For one thing, I never get to have lunch with friends or co-workers. If things get crazy at work, I miss my work-out.

I want to change this - I want to work out in the morning. More generally, I'd like to become an early-riser. Or, more accurately, an "earlier" riser: 7:30 seems an ungodly hour to me right now, but I'm sure a lot of people would read that and think Man, it'd be great to sleep in past six.

Since this is the first thing I'm attempting, I expect a few bumps in the road - and not just from trying to wake up earlier. The blogging process will undoubtedly evolve. For now, though, I'll try this: I'll define my goal, why I'm trying to achieve it, how I'll achieve it, and a reward.

So here it goes:

Goal:
To get up at the same time, every morning, for four straight work-weeks(five days a week, M-F), and make it to the gym.

Why: I want to get more out of my day. I have a lot of projects, personal and work-wise, I want more time for. Not having to workout at lunch will give more time for work, and I can use my lunch hour to read, write, or do whatever. 

How-to:
  1. Set wake-up time of 7:30 AM
  2. When my alarm goes off, I won't think, I'll simply get up, grab an apple and my gym bag, and head out the door.
  3. Instead of setting a bed time, I'll simply go to bed when I'm tired each night and gradually make my body adjust to me set wake-up time.

Reward: A new gym bag, something like this: http://reviews.lululemon.com/7834/Classy_Classic_Gym_Bag/reviews.htm, and a steak dinner.

The first day will be tomorrow, February 16th. I'll end on March 15th.

I should check in to New York Sports Club on foursquare in the morning, before going to work(I usually get to the office around 10-10:30 - it's the ad business), and it will show up on my Facebook profile. If I don't, feel free to write on my wall and remind me I'm slacking.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment