Monday, April 19, 2010

A New Project, A Day Late

I found an apartment! It’s on the Upper West Side, near Columbia(which would be awesome, if I was a Columbia student) and Central Park. This will be my fourth move in three years, but thankfully, this will be my first apartment without a roommate. It’s all mine: all mine to pay for, keep clean, sleep in, party in, relax in, stress in, hide in, pig out in, cook in, etc etc etc; and that is an awesome feeling.

It’s a relief to have the search over(with two weeks to spare). No more searching Craigslist and seeing apartments right after work. I can (sort of) get back to my usual schedule.

But I still have to save money(movers, new furniture since I don’t own any), so this week I’m doing another mini-project. I’m starting a day late, though, so this will go Tuesday through Saturday.

My friend Miriam suggested this back in the comments of my last project. I’m going to read one short story/poem a day, and then post what I think about it. After picking my friends’ minds for suggestions, I have the following:

    •    Tuesday - “A Study In Scarlet”, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
    •    Wednesday - “Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption”, Stephen King
    •    Thursday - “Harrison Bergeron”, Kurt Vonnegut,
    •    Friday - “The Laughing Man”, J.D. Salinger

That’s four short stories. My friend Leslie had a great suggestion that, instead of a poem, I listen to a song. I’m going to go one step beyond that, though, and listen to an album of Leslie’s choosing, and post my thoughts about it Saturday.

So tomorrow, I get my first taste of Sherlock Holmes. When I was young, I read the Hardy Boys and Encyclopedia Brown, but that never translated later into reading about the exploits of fiction’s first great detective(instead, it lead to reading about it’s second: Batman).

I did really love this episode of Alvin and the Chipmunks:

No comments:

Post a Comment